City
Gearhart
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
2023 XC90
We've got a new 2023 XC90 w. the 21" wheels (275/40-21 tires). In our state (Oregon), they have a curious, rare, winter road regulation called "conditional road closure." Ordinarily, if you have AWD & "winter traction tires" (defined as tires w. the 3 peak/snowflake logo), you are exempt from the "Chains Required" rules that they put up on our mountain passes when things get snowy. However, if it gets really bad (and I've seen this also on I-80 Donner Pass in CA), they put up "conditional road closure" which means "Chains Required, No Exceptions!" Also, when it's just a normal, "Chains Required", and you are using the AWD exception for cars w. "traction tires", IF you get stuck or slide off the road, you MUST be carrying chains in your car, or you're subject to a ticket.

My experience has been that with AWD cars and good winter tires (I'm partial to Nokians but have also had good service with various Michelin studless snow tires), I haven't had to put on chains in many years! However, given the quirky laws above, in winter I always HAVE a set of chains that fit with me in the car. We drive the snow zone on average at least once a week all winter and often more.

So, reading the owner's manual on "Snow Chains", it says: OUTSIDE ONLY CHAINS REQUIRED!!! AFAIK, the only "external" chains I know of are the German Konig chains that are about $560/set!! In Volvo's accessory catalog they have a "Centrax Chain" that looks very much like the Konig and may be. I have no idea what Vovo gets for theirs, but I'll bet it's more than the online chain sellers.

Anyone have any experience with CHAINS on their XC90?? Anyone used Konig, Centrax or any other "outside only" tire chains??