City
Salisbury
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2021 XC-90
Hey all I'm new. I searched for similar discussions but the ones I found were only as recent as 2019.

I have the orange key (it's my wife's car, she got the black key). She (and I think with the salesman's help) set up here profile and linked to the black key.

For months we have been trying to figure out many things including why I can't seem to get my profile (profile2) to routinely set when I unlock the car with the orange key fob. Then I realized I needed to link the orange key to my profile. I am in an endless do-loop as I can't do anything as far as profile selection unless I have the black key lock and then unlock the car. After that I can open and then select a new profile. After selecting the profile, the manual says to reopen the driver profile and edit profile 2 so that I can link the orange key. The problem is that when I go back to profile to "edit", everything is grayed out.

I'm hoping someone here can walk me through this.

Thanks.

VoXCFan

Reactions
City
Wasilla
State
AK
Country
United States
What I Drive
2021 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD
Hi,
Are you placing the sole key you are programming in the first the cup holder as required? Second, make sure that the other key isn't in the car.
I could program mine without problems by programming the keys individually (the black key fob first, then the orange one). My orange key is the valet key with speed limitations. After completing those two another profile is left open to the program with the black key. I have not experienced the graying out of the display. Please see the video below from Volvo University on setting up the profile. I hope this helps.

Last edited:

gobees81

Reactions
City
Salisbury
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2021 XC-90
Hi,
Are you placing the sole key you are programming in the first the cup holder as required? Second, make sure that the other key isn't in the car.
I could program mine without problems by programming the keys individually (the black key fob first, then the orange one). My orange key is the valet key with speed limitations. After completing those two another profile is left open to the program with the black key. I have not experienced the graying out of the display. Please see the video below from Volvo University on setting up the profile. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply and thanks for the video. some questions:

You state that after completing the black key and then the orange key, "another profile is left open to the program with the black key". Do you mean there are two profiles that can be programmed to the black key?

Yes, I placed the black key outside vehicle and placed orange key in the cup holder. I was unable to make any changes with the orange key. Ultimately, I was able to get the edit screen but ONLY with the black key in the car. This has so far meant that the orange key is nothing more than a key as I had hoped I could set the profile I want on the orange key.

Again, thanks. I'll go tinker with it again and see if I can make anything work with the orange key.

gobees81

Reactions
City
Salisbury
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2021 XC-90
Update: Spent over an hour this afternoon trying to set a profile to the orange key. In summary, it was a complete fail.

The only profile that can be edited is profile one. (paired to black key). If I start car with black key and profile 1 and then select profile 2 (so that I can edit it), once profile 2 is loaded, the option to edit is no longer available.

Locking and unlocking with orange key gives same results. Can't select profile to to edit it because it is grayed out. Orange key is in the cup holder.

VoXCFan

Reactions
City
Wasilla
State
AK
Country
United States
What I Drive
2021 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD
Thanks for the reply and video. some questions:

You state that after completing the black key and then the orange key, "another profile is left open to the program with the black key". Do you mean there are two profiles that can be programmed to the black key?

Yes, I placed the black key outside vehicle and placed orange key in the cup holder. I was unable to make any changes with the orange key. Ultimately, I was able to get the edit screen but ONLY with the black key in the car. This has so far meant that the orange key is nothing more than a key as I had hoped I could set the profile I want on the orange key.

Again, thanks. I'll go tinker with it again and see if I can make anything work with the orange key.
Yes, you can program additional profiles with the black key. Make sure your fob batteries are good.
Additionally, you should be able to set up limited things for the orange (care) key. I set up mine as a valet key with speed limitations. You may need to conduct a factory reset of the profiles so that the system can start with a clean slate if you have not already completed a factory reset in the systems option.

Attachments

gobees81

Reactions
City
Salisbury
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2021 XC-90
Just an update. I am unable to do any profile change for profile 2. I have read forum post from pre-2021 that basically describe all the same problems I am having. If anyone has more information on how to program profile 2 onto the orange key, please let me know. Thanks.

Rush42

Reactions
City
ST. LEONARDS-ON-SEA
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2022 B5 XC90 R Design Pro
I had the same issue early on so spoke to the local dealer. The Orange key IS NOT A NORMAL KEY and as such is not able to have the profile programmed as per the normal Black key. It is (basically) a Valet Key as VoXCFan mentioned above. It is designed for you to give to a "Guest" and thus the option to speed limit etc, but no auto adjustment. You need to buy another Black key if you want to set up full profiles etc,