Remote Start - 2016 XC90

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
I live in a rural area and in the winter, keep my new XC 90 under a covered portico with open sides to protect it. The signal to remote start the vehicle does not penetrate the roof from the Volvo app. (I am assuming this is normal). Does anyone know of a Volvo key-fob with remote that would work on this vehicle? How about a third party device to activate the factory remote start? Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

XCMike

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
I live in a rural area and in the winter, keep my new XC 90 under a covered portico with open sides to protect it. The signal to remote start the vehicle does not penetrate the roof from the Volvo app. (I am assuming this is normal). Does anyone know of a Volvo key-fob with remote that would work on this vehicle? How about a third party device to activate the factory remote start? Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Unfortunately with the way remote start integrates with the app, I highly doubt there would be a third party remote that will work.

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
Remote Start 2016 XC90

Unfortunately with the way remote start integrates with the app, I highly doubt there would be a third party remote that will work.
Obviously, the remote start receives a signal initiated by the app to strt the vehicle. I think it is a matter of finding out what that signal is and then trying to find a device tht can replicate it. Another thought might be to add a remote strt kit, if it would not interfere with the remote start app. Someone with better technical skills than I, might know if tht can be done. Thre must be a solution out there.

VolvoFan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Obviously, the remote start receives a signal initiated by the app to strt the vehicle. I think it is a matter of finding out what that signal is and then trying to find a device tht can replicate it. Another thought might be to add a remote strt kit, if it would not interfere with the remote start app. Someone with better technical skills than I, might know if tht can be done. Thre must be a solution out there.
Volvo On Call uses the cellular phone AMPS network to communicate with the car. If you are having issues starting your car from the app it's more of a cellular reception issue than the covered portico.

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
What does AMPS stand for? I know the vehicle uses ATT for it's hot-spot, and that is horrible in my area. Any thoughts about adding a sec ondary third party remote start? My 2015 Jeep, had an app for remote start and other things as well as a key fob remote start that worked great. I wonder if there is something to replicate the cellular signal that wold be hand held?

VolvoFan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What does AMPS stand for? I know the vehicle uses ATT for it's hot-spot, and that is horrible in my area. Any thoughts about adding a sec ondary third party remote start? My 2015 Jeep, had an app for remote start and other things as well as a key fob remote start that worked great. I wonder if there is something to replicate the cellular signal that wold be hand held?
Actually I just did a bit more digging and it looks like AMPS network was phased out back in 2008, the new apps run off of SMS 10.

Here's some good info.
https://carmanuals2.com/volvo/s80-2015-volvo-on-call-80557

Thank you for choosing Volvo On Call, the specifications, design features and illustrations contained in this supplement not bind, overview of Volvo On Call* 6, available Volvo On Call* functions 7.

Comfort services with Volvo On Call* 8, volvo On Call* mobile app 8, remote heater start* via SMS 10, safety services with Volvo On Call* 11.

Alert the service centre manually 12, security services with Volvo On Call* 13, menu options with Volvo On Call* 15, volvo On Call* message display 15.

Phone number service centre 17, pIN code for Volvo On Call* 18, change of ownership cars with Volvo, * Option/accessory, for more information, see Introduction.

Volvo On Call (VOC)* is a supplementary service that you subscribe to customer, the Volvo On Call system (hereinafter called, vOC) is linked to the car's SRS alarm, countries where the system is available.

Once the remote control key has been, removed from the car, VOC system's, days and then once per hour during, the VOC system uses GPS (Global.

Positioning System) to locate car, car's built-in GSM module contact, the system only works areas where, vOC's partners have GSM coverage.

The markets where the Volvo On Call service available, just as with mobile phones, atmospheric, disturbances or sparse transmitter coverage may lead to connection being impossible, e, volvo On Call mobile app (p.

Remote heater start via SMS (p, a subscription is initiated connection with, limit but can be extended, and validity market dependent, all calls with the VOC Service Centre will.

For more information about Volvo On Call, sales & services > Volvo On Call, can find, amongst other things, frequently, using a personal Volvo ID it possible log.

Infotainment supplement, section Volvo ID, read about its advantages how create, overview of Volvo On Call* (p, phone number for service centre (p.

Does not apply to V40/V40 Cross Country, pIN code for Volvo On Call* (p, vOC Service Centre who ensure that help, sent immediately to your location - police.

Press the SOS button for 2 seconds to activate manual alarm service, in the normal view for MY CAR, press OK, mENU and select Settings Volvo On Call, menu options with Volvo On Call*.

ON CALL button - in event, volvo On Call* message display, press the ON CALL button 2 seconds.

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
Interesting and thanks! Is there a device I can acquire that will send that type of signal to the vehicle in another form where being in a good signal area isn't a concern?

Also, what if your opinion regarding an aftermarket remote starter being installed that will still allow the remote app to function?

VolvoFan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
I wouldn't recommend any third party as it may void your warranty. Volvo has their own Volvo Engine Remote Start (ERS) system for around $500, but unfortunately there isn't one available for the new XC90. I assume they just want you to use the app or will perhaps release one later.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Sweden
Just a question have the remote start ever worked?

Issemann

Reactions
State
AK
Country
United States
How much does the subscription cost?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
I work in a building where I can't have my phone, the app is useless to me. I've already sent my complaints to Volvo on it. They gave me a year free on the app hoping they can figure down thing else out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90
where you have decent coverage, the remote start/stop, door lock/unlock works - takes about 30 seconds between clicking on the app, to the actual engine start. have had no issues with the app.
first 6 months free subscription, i just added additional 12 months for $250.

yxc145

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 GLE 43 Coupe
well.. can't really blame VOLVO for not able to have your phone in your building. But I do feel they should provide the service for the duration of the warranty, at least. Don't think I will pay to renew.

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
Agreed. I chose to work in a building that doesn't allow phones. But to only allow remote start from a phone is silly.

yxc145

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 GLE 43 Coupe
Agreed. I chose to work in a building that doesn't allow phones. But to only allow remote start from a phone is silly.

It is the same way with my Mercedes GLE Coupe. MBrace app. I think with the cellphone technologies being so advanced/popular, most of the car makers will choose to use phone app as remote start method over the key fob. Also, I think it may also has to do with remote start/unlock actually being done by the CAR company sending a signal to your car. If the remote start is only on your key fob, I don't think the car maker can do that