City
Fort Mill
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 XC90 T6 Inscription
Our low beams seem really low on light. I asked the dealer to check them and they said they were "fine". We always have to turn on the fog lights to produce a little more light (or Thor's hammer?). I had a loaner XC60 and noticed the lights were brighter on low beams. High beams are incredible on our car. Anyone else see this?

Heimdall

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 XC90
I did notice this with my second batch 2018
Let me ask you this.
Do you have Active Bending headlights ?
If yes try switching that option on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomme12

Reactions
City
Fort Mill
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 XC90 T6 Inscription
The option was turned off. Should I turn it off?

Heimdall

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 XC90
The option was turned off. Should I turn it off?
Turn it on. It will bend with your steering creating more illumination in the direction of the street.

It helps greatly specially in the US as headlights specs in the US are different than the rest of the world and maximum allowed light distance is ~300ft VS 600ft worldwide.

tomme12

Reactions
City
Fort Mill
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 XC90 T6 Inscription
I will play around with it, but it was turned on and the light it puts out is not great in my opinion unless I turn on the fog lights. It seems very odd. I do see the lights steer when I turn

Heimdall

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 XC90
I will play around with it, but it was turned on and the light it puts out is not great in my opinion unless I turn on the fog lights. It seems very odd. I do see the lights steer when I turn
Hmmm
I have the same issue
I’m going in for service next week.
Let me ask if there’s an adjustment to make them brighter or wider range

tomme12

Reactions
City
Fort Mill
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 XC90 T6 Inscription
Thanks, let me know what you find out. I had asked and they said.. "Nope, they are correct"... which I didnt pick the car up, my wife did. I would have battled a bit more

Heimdall

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 XC90
Thanks, let me know what you find out. I had asked and they said.. "Nope, they are correct"... which I didnt pick the car up, my wife did. I would have battled a bit more
I will surely do.
I’m positive there’s an adjustment
Whether they’d do it or not. That’s another matter.

And I agree with you. It’s not normal. This is my second car and the first was totally different

SRG963

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
You can adjust them using a 3 inch reach 6mm (I believe) socket. The adjustment knob is white plastic, the hole to get to that knob is above the headlight.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Around adjusting the position or the intensity?

Heimdall

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 XC90
I took the car back from the dealer few days and they’ve stated it’s normal as well.
The technician did state two things thou.
1) there are different LED bulb illumination so my car might have a less illuminating bulbs than the old one. He’s verifying That and getting back tomorrow.

2)There’s no intensity adjustment but the level adjustment effects that greatly.

So they will adjust it tomorrow when i bring it in on the max high level allowed.

I have to add I don’t have ABL so that also plays a factor for me.

ecstunda

Reactions
City
Pittsburgh
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90
Our low beams seem really low on light. I asked the dealer to check them and they said they were "fine". We always have to turn on the fog lights to produce a little more light (or Thor's hammer?). I had a loaner XC60 and noticed the lights were brighter on low beams. High beams are incredible on our car. Anyone else see this?
I've noticed on my 2017 XC90 that the low beams are not that bright which I attributed to the position/angle. The low beam, especially on the drivers side, seems to be aimed down slightly.
Interested to hear if the adjusting of the position to the "max high level allowed" helps.
Thanks,
Eryk

ladilling

Reactions
City
Lusby
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 XC90
I have a 2019 and believe the low beams are dangerously low on intensity compared to any other vehicle I have driven in the last 20 years. Volvo talks safety but the lows are terrible. Cannot see nearly far enough ahead to avoid projecting parked vehicles or lane markings. The highs are excellent. I do use the fog lights for a little extra. My last vehicle was an Acura MDX that had a distinct light cutoff line. The Volvo's is very diffuse.

It appears Volvo will be no help. Why not?? Perhaps a bulb replacement recommendation is in order.