volvojoe

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
Is anyone having an issue with the outside air temperature indicator? I was sitting in a parking lot a few days ago and my indicator began counting down from about 82 or so and stopped at about 72 or so. For the last few days now it has been indicating about 10 - 15 degrees below the local air temperatures and varies widely from high 80's to mid-60's. Daytime temps here have been into the low to mid 90's so something is wrong.

volvojoe

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
Is anyone having an issue with the outside air temperature indicator? I was sitting in a parking lot a few days ago and my indicator began counting down from about 82 or so and stopped at about 72 or so. For the last few days now it has been indicating about 10 - 15 degrees below the local air temperatures and varies widely from high 80's to mid-60's. Daytime temps here have been into the low to mid 90's so something is wrong.
Following up on the outside temperature sensor issue. Volvo had to replace the sensor and now the outside air temperature is functioning correctly again. First failure of a part on the car, even though minor. Took two trips to the dealer. As always, dealers do not have adequate parts on hand resulting in multiple trips to the dealer.

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
We had the same. Volvo paid for our rental while we waited for the part to get to the dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Volvo XC90 T5
Mine's in the shop for the 3rd time about this issue now. The thing nobody else has mentioned is the climate control doesn't react to inputs properly because the ambient temp is inaccurate. It seems my problem is significantly more severe than other peoples' at this point-- last week it was a (rare) 90 degree day here in Seattle... my XC90 thought it was 19 degrees F. and kept blowing tepid air at me. Begs the question which other parts of the ECU are operating based on this severely flawed information.

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
Mine's in the shop for the 3rd time about this issue now. The thing nobody else has mentioned is the climate control doesn't react to inputs properly because the ambient temp is inaccurate. It seems my problem is significantly more severe than other peoples' at this point-- last week it was a (rare) 90 degree day here in Seattle... my XC90 thought it was 19 degrees F. and kept blowing tepid air at me. Begs the question which other parts of the ECU are operating based on this severely flawed information.
Mine was doing the same thing. I'm in Baltimore and it was 95'ish degrees. Car said 32. It was horrible. They replaced the sensor and all was better.

volvojoe

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
Second Followup to Ambient Air Sensor/Indicator

Following up on the outside temperature sensor issue. Volvo had to replace the sensor and now the outside air temperature is functioning correctly again. First failure of a part on the car, even though minor. Took two trips to the dealer. As always, dealers do not have adequate parts on hand resulting in multiple trips to the dealer.
Outside air temperature indicator acting up again following the first repair. Went to the dealer yesterday for another look at the outside temperature indicator. Found out the outside air temperature feeds several functions on the car including the Climate Control System and the Auto STOP/START system. I also found in the owner's manual a couple of topics on the outside air temperature signal feeding into the car computer systems. The dealer noted the recall on the panoramic glass electrical switch and performed the update. The service rep stated the recall upgrade does more than just addressing some issue with the roof window switch. During the upgrade, a unit called a "VCU" had an issue and that had to be fixed/addressed. When I got my car back, several things had changed. My air conditioner controls now display, just above the fan speed, something like "CLIMATE CLEAN" that never was there before, the engine/transmission seems to run better, more pep.
And yes, the temperature sensor was deemed to be "abnormal" and was ordered. Dealer rep says it will be a few weeks because Volvo apparently has a lot of temperature sensors going bad.
These XC90s are a very complex car and systems are tied together by ways the dealer techs don't begin to understand. I'm going to be looking for some long term electrical warranty to help protect my pocketbook when the factory warranty ends. Good Luck to all of you.

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Volvo XC90 T5
Outside air temperature indicator acting up again following the first repair. Went to the dealer yesterday for another look at the outside temperature indicator. Found out the outside air temperature feeds several functions on the car including the Climate Control System and the Auto STOP/START system. I also found in the owner's manual a couple of topics on the outside air temperature signal feeding into the car computer systems. The dealer noted the recall on the panoramic glass electrical switch and performed the update. The service rep stated the recall upgrade does more than just addressing some issue with the roof window switch. During the upgrade, a unit called a "VCU" had an issue and that had to be fixed/addressed. When I got my car back, several things had changed. My air conditioner controls now display, just above the fan speed, something like "CLIMATE CLEAN" that never was there before, the engine/transmission seems to run better, more pep.
And yes, the temperature sensor was deemed to be "abnormal" and was ordered. Dealer rep says it will be a few weeks because Volvo apparently has a lot of temperature sensors going bad.
These XC90s are a very complex car and systems are tied together by ways the dealer techs don't begin to understand. I'm going to be looking for some long term electrical warranty to help protect my pocketbook when the factory warranty ends. Good Luck to all of you.
Yep, got a call last night that the soonest they'll be able to receive the part is the 31st because it's on national back order. Obviously more than a few having problems...

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
Yep, got a call last night that the soonest they'll be able to receive the part is the 31st because it's on national back order. Obviously more than a few having problems...

My dealership told me 8 weeks. I called volvo customer service, she got me one in a week and paid for a rental because of how hot it has been.

dloftis

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 volvo xc90, 2006 VW Beetle cov
Mine just started showing 10-15 degrees BELOW outside air temps today. I called the dealership; they are to call back tomorrow for appt. (After hours).

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
Mine just got replaced...still doing it.

dloftis

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
Mine was replaced two days ago, appears fixed. Part was in stock, did not have to wait for the part.

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
Just had it replaced...again. Car was freaking out. Got it fixed. Temperature gauge was freaking out while at the dealership. Replaced while I waited.

dloftis

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
Mine just got 2nd replacement today. Was putting Heat out of Driver's side vents before showing temps outside 20 degrees below actual temp.
Hope this 2nd one last!